Health Benefits of Celery
Celery is a vegetable belonging to the parsley family, rich in vitamins and minerals. Let's take a look at the health benefits of celery, which was used against diseases in ancient times.
Celery is a vegetable belonging to the parsley family, rich in vitamins and minerals. It is a beneficial food used against diseases in ancient Egyptian, ancient Greek and traditional Chinese medicine.
Celery contains B group vitamins such as A, C, D, E, K, folate (folic acid), pyridoxine (B6), potassium and pantothenic acid (B5). In addition, celery seeds, which are rich in minerals such as potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium, are also used as a spice.
Celery is high in water and contains almost no fat. Celery, which is low in carbohydrates and contains high amounts of fiber, is an alkaline vegetable and helps the body maintain its pH ratio.
Nutritional Values of Celery
For 100 grams of Celery;
- Calories 42 kcal
- Carbohydrates 9.2 g
- Fiber 1.8 g
- Sodium 100mg
- Potassium 115mg
- Calcium 43mg
- Magnesium 15mg
- Phosphate 70mg
- Iron 0.7mg
- Zinc 0.4mg
- Beta-carotene 15 µg
- Vitamin E 0.5mg
- Vitamin B1 0.04mg
- Vitamin B2 0.07mg
- Vitamin B6 0.20mg
- Folic acid 75 µg
- Vitamin C 8mg
Health Benefits of Celery
- Celery has a protective effect on the veins with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains phthalide, a secondary plant substance. In this way, celery is good for cholesterol and general cardiovascular diseases.
- Celery is a rich source of antioxidants. In addition to antioxidant vitamins (vitamin C and beta-carotene), celery also contains significant amounts of polyphenols. It strengthens the immune system, prevents inflammation and is good for colds.
- Celery with high potassium is good for gout and rheumatism. It is also a good diuretic. It facilitates the elimination of edema in the body.
- Celery is high in apigenin, a light yellow plant pigment. Apigenin and luteolin are anti-cancer components of celery. It is especially effective on breast cancer, bowel cancer and lung cancer.
- The antioxidants in celery also support stomach health. The antioxidant components in celery can reduce stomach and digestive problems.
- Celery regulates the body's alkaline balance and prevents problems that may arise from excessive consumption of acidic foods. The high water content in celery, along with insoluble fiber, facilitate bowel movements.
- Celery contains many beneficial antioxidants, essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium and potassium, and therefore contributes to the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- The sodium found in celery is different from the sodium found in table salt. The sodium content of celery is organic, natural and essential for health.