Drought alert in Europe! The Dryest Period of the Last 500 Years
The Joint Research Center of the European Union (EU) Commission announced that Europe has experienced the most productive period of the last 500 years.
The "Drought in Europe-August 2022" report, prepared by the Joint Research Center (JRC) of the European Union (EU) Commission, based on the data and analysis of the European Drought Observatory, has been published.
The report emphasized that the drought situation in many parts of Europe is worrying. It was noted that 47 percent of the EU territory is still in the "warning" state, while 17 percent is in the "alarm" state. In total, 64 percent of EU territory is on alert or on alert.
Drought Will Cause Famine
It was stated that at EU level, corn, soybean and sunflower crops were 16 percent, 15 percent and 12 percent below the last 5-year average, respectively. It was stated that due to the lack of sufficient precipitation, the water level in almost all rivers in Europe decreased, the hydroelectric production of the power plants decreased, the cooling systems and river transportation were disrupted.
Warm Weather Will Continue
It was also warned that the air temperature in the west of the Mediterranean in the coming months will be above seasonal normals until November 2022.